Sycamores and Rawson House are two historic houses owned by the South Hadley Historical Society and governed by the fiscally independent Sycamores Committee. They are being renovated and restored to reflect the life and times of their occupants during the past three centuries or so. These occupants have included South Hadley’s first minister, Grindal Rawson, whose house was built in 1732 and Col. Benjamin Ruggles Woodbridge, whose house, Sycamores, was built for him in 1788. Sycamores was a dormitory for Mount Holyoke College from 1915 until 1972. More than 800 different women lived there. It was a school for boys in the early 19th century. The most famous occupant of Rawson House was Joseph Brodsky, Mount Holyoke faculty member, Nobel Laureate, and Poet Laureate of the United States.